GREENSBURG, Kan. (AP) A south-central Kansas hotel has reopened after carbon monoxide exposure sent more than 30 people to a hospital where they were treated and released.
Sunday’s incident caused a brief evacuation of the Best Western Inn Suites in Greensburg.
Kiowa County Sheriff Kendal Lothman said Monday that several children had got out of the hotel swimming pool with dilated eyes and difficulty breathing.
Lothman says the children had been exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide believed to result from a water heater failing to vent properly. Guests were allowed back in their rooms later Sunday, but the pool area remains closed until the problem is fixed.
Hotel manager Ron Wright said Monday he was thankful nobody was seriously hurt.