TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) Procedures are being revised at a public swimming pool in Topeka after a cloud of chlorine sent eight swimmers to hospitals. All were treated and released.
WIBW-TV reports the incident happened at Blaisdell Pool in Gage Park while the Topeka Swimming Association was holding practice Thursday morning.
Fifteen-year-old John Schmidt says he saw what looked like a volcano swirling toward him from jets under the water. A bubble of chlorine hit him in the face, making it impossible to breathe, before the chemical created a haze above the surface.
An official says overnight storms shut off power to the pool. The chlorine bubble occurred when a staff member turned the pumps back on.
Officials say the pumps will no longer be restarted when people are in the pool.