Updated 8:00 p.m. Thursday:
The Manhattan Fire Department was dispatched to 3114 Gary Avenue for a report of a structure fire at about noon Thursday. Upon arrival, crews found a two-story single family residence owned by Jeanette Cukjati of Girard, with smoke and fire visible from the roof.
Firefighters made entry into the structure, performed a search and attempted to control the fire from the interior of the building. With wind gusts upwards of 30 mph and the roof collapsing, crews were forced out of the building and had to fight the fire from the exterior.
The fire reached a second alarm before it was contained within approximately one hour.No one was home at the time of the fire, however two dogs and one cat were rescued from the building.
Estimated damages include $150,000 for the structure and another $50,000 for the contents. The cause of the fire is listed as accidental due to discarded smoking materials.
Manhattan Firefighters have responded to a fire in the 3100 block of Gary Avenue. The call came in shortly after noon. Traffic was reportedly blocked on a portion of Gary Avenue.
No further details are available at this time.