KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) Officials say at least five house fires in the Kansas City metro area over the weekend were caused by problems with fireplaces.
The Kansas City Star reports no one was injured in any of the fires.
A fire at a Shawnee, Kan., home Sunday started in a fireplace and caused $130,000 in damage.
Kansas City, Kan., firefighters responded to two fires Saturday night that started in chimney flues or around fireplaces. On Friday night, a fire in an unattended fireplace damaged a Kansas City, Kan., home that was being remodeled.
Also Friday night, Lee’s Summit, Mo., firefighters fought a house fire that started in a chimney flue.
Fire officials remind people to have their fireplaces inspected before using them and to make sure they have working smoke alarms.