According to Riley County Police Lieutenant Steve Boyda, three students at Manhattan High’s West campus had taken cold and cough pills in an attempt to become intoxicated before school on Friday morning. School officials were notified of the incident when one of the students, a 16-year-old, became ill and had to be taken to Mercy Regional Health Center. Hospital policy prevents them from releasing patient information.
The supplier of the medicine, a 15-year-old student, has been charged with aggravated child endangerment. The case has been referenced to the Riley County Attorney’s office for possible prosecution.
The other student involved was also 15. As KMAN News first reported in January, four students had to be treated for an overdose of over-the-counter cough medicine.