Man burned while destroying fireworks in central Kansas


INMAN — Authorities say a fireworks company employee was burned while disposing of fireworks.

The Hutchinson News reports that the 39-year-old Jason Ukele, of Salina, was flown to a Wichita hospital after the Monday morning accident at the site of Showalter Fireworks west of Inman.

Business owner Steve Showalter says Ukele suffered burns on his right leg and hand while they were lighting off 3 to 4 ounces (85 to 133 grams) of powder at a time. He says the burning is done routinely to destroy unserviceable fireworks.

He says one of the batches flashed up instead of just burning, injuring Ukele. Showalter says he has “no idea why it did what it did.”


About Author

AP Wire

Comments are closed.