Pet turtle dies as result of accidental house fire

0

Firefighters exit the home where a basement fire was sparked Thursday morning in west Manhattan. (Courtesy Manhattan Fire Department)

Firefighters made quick work of a house fire Thursday morning in west Manhattan.

Crews from the Manhattan Fire Department were dispatched to 3208 Highland Circle shortly before 11 a.m. for a report of smoke. When crews arrived they found fire in the basement of a single-story home. The home was not occupied at the time of the fire however a pet turtle inside the home died as a result of the fire.

The total loss was estimated at around $30,000 including damage to the structure and contents. The fire department says the resident was able to remain in the home.

The cause was accidental due to a heat lamp near the turtle enclosure.

Share.

About Author

KMAN News Director and host of In Focus. Contact Brandon at Brandon@1350KMAN.com

Comments are closed.