A machine shed and outbuilding on property five miles east of Riley caught fire after midnight Monday and kept firefighters busy into Tuesday morning.
Riley County Emergency Management Director and County Fire Chief Pat Collins told KMAN the blaze resulted in damages of approximately $185,000.
“We got there and it was fully involved,” Collins said. “It appeared the fire started from a heat lamp that was keeping some chickens warm.”
Collins said property was at 787 Marie Lane and that Bart Anstaett is the owner.
Crews from five stations with 10 fire apparatus using 18,000 gallons of water fought the blaze.
“Most of us got home at 6 in the morning,” Collins said. “Long night for volunteers.”