Tuesday morning blaze east of Riley results in $185k loss


Crews attend a blaze five miles east of Riley early Tuesday morning. (Photos courtesy Riley County Fire District No. 1)

A machine shed and outbuilding on property five miles east of Riley caught fire after midnight Monday and kept firefighters busy into Tuesday morning.

Riley County Emergency Management Director and County Fire Chief Pat Collins told KMAN the blaze resulted in damages of approximately $185,000.

“We got there and it was fully involved,” Collins said. “It appeared the fire started from a heat lamp that was keeping some chickens warm.”

Collins said property was at 787 Marie Lane and that Bart Anstaett is the owner.

Crews from five stations with 10 fire apparatus using 18,000 gallons of water fought the blaze.

“Most of us got home at 6 in the morning,” Collins said. “Long night for volunteers.”


About Author

Brady Bauman

News director, morning show anchor and In Focus host. Former newspaper writer, news and sports. California born, Kansas raised. Questions, news tips can be sent to brady@1350kman.com.

Comments are closed.