Suspect In Fatal Topeka Police Officer Shooting Has Died


Update as of Noon Monday:

TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) Authorities say a man suspected in the fatal shooting of two Topeka police officers has died after an armed standoff with law enforcement at a house in the city.

The man is suspected of killing 50-year-old Cpl. David Gogian and 29-year-old Jeff Atherly as they responded to a report of a suspicious vehicle Sunday night.

Shawnee County officials say in a statement that Kansas Bureau of Investigation officers tried to negotiate with the suspect before firing tear gas into the home.

The statement says he emerged from the home carrying a gun and officers shot him. He was taken to a hospital where he died of his injuries early today (Monday).

It wasn’t clear if the suspect fired his gun.


Update: As of 8:50 a.m, law enforcement officials have confirmed that the suspect involved in the fatal shooting of two Topeka police officers has died as a result of injuries sustained while being taken into custody. More information will be provided as it becomes available.



Update (7:30 a.m. 12/17):

Topeka Police Chief Ron Miller has confirmed the arrest of 22 year old David Tiscareno, who faces charges following Sunday night’s fatal shooting of two police officers outside a grocery store. 

 A nearly two-hour standoff at a house in Topeka ended with police removing the man who is reportedly the suspect in the shooting deaths.

Early Monday, officers lobbed tear gas into the home, several apparent gunshots rang out and a police dog dragged something from the house. Reporters said a man who was not moving was removed from the building.

Several officers then entered the house and an ambulance drove away.

The officers were shot Sunday night responding to a report of a suspicious vehicle near the store. They have been identified as 50-year-old Cpl. David Gogian and 29-year-old Officer Jeff Atherly.

Police officials announced the news of the officers’ deaths Sunday night as a small crowd gathered nearby for a candlelight vigil outside police headquarters.

Gogian had been with the department since September 2004 and Atherly since April 2011.

Again, Tiscareno has been arrested, according to Topeka Police chief Ron Miller. Tiscareno has reportedly been taken to a hospital with unspecified injuries.


Two Topeka Police officers were shot and killed in the line of duty Sunday evening outside of a grocery store. Media reports out of Topeka say that the incident occurred at a Dillons store in the 1400 block of Southwest Huntoon Street shortly after 6 p.m.

The officers were reportedly responding to a report of a suspicious vehicle in the area when the shooting occurred. At a press conference shortly after 10 p.m. Topeka Police Chief Ron Miller reported the deaths of the two officers. They were identified as 50-year old Corporal David Gogian who had been on the force a little more than eight years and 29-year old Officer Jeff Atherly who had been with the force for just under two years. Both officers died at an area hospital as a result of their injuries.

Authorities have identified the suspect in this case as 22-year old David Tiscareno of Topeka. A manhunt was underway for him Sunday evening and authorities are calling him “armed and dangerous.”


About Author

KMAN Staff

Leave A Reply