Updated noon Thursday:
The fire at Applebee’s Neighborhood Bar and Grill in Manhattan has been ruled by fire investigators to be accidental due to combustible materials being placed too close to a heat source. That was the word late Thursday morning from Manhattan Deputy Fire Chief Ryan Almes. As reported earlier Thursday morning, firefighters were called to the restaurant just before one a.m. and were on the scene until after four. Damage to the structure and contents is estimated to total $150,000.
Damage was contained to the kitchen area including the kitchen hood system and duct.It’s unknown how long the restaurant will be closed for business–but cleanup and repairs will need to be made.
Manhattan Firefighters responded to a fire at Applebee’s early Thursday morning, with total loss estimated at $150,000.
At 12:59 a.m. the Manhattan Fire Department was dispatched to 100 Manhattan Town Center, the location of Applebee’s Neighborhood Grill and Bar, for a report of a structure fire. Upon arrival, crews found smoke and fire showing from the roof of the structure. The fire reached a second alarm before it was contained within 15 minutes. The fire was contained to the kitchen area and the kitchen hood system and duct. A total of 17 firefighters responded on 5 fire apparatus with the last units clearing at around 4:15 a.m. Applebee’s will be closed for business until cleanup and repairs are made.Loss is estimated at $75,000 to contents and $75,000 to the structure. The owner of Applebee’s is listed as RMH Franchising of Lincoln, Nebraska. The owner of Manhattan Town Center is listed as Urban Retail Properties of Chicago, Illinois. The fire appears to be accidental in nature, but is still under investigation at the time of this release.