Small fire causes evacuation at east Manhattan Dillon’s


This slideshow requires JavaScript.

A small fire was quickly extinguished Friday morning at the east Manhattan Dillon’s store, but not before causing a brief evacuation.

Upon arrival, light smoke could be seen throughout the building. Crews evacuated the building and found a small fire in the store’s HVAC ductwork that was put out within 20 minutes.

No injuries were reported and the store reopened after firefighters cleared the scene.

Deputy Fire Chief Ryan Almes tells KMAN the fire cause was accidental, due to welding being performed on ductwork which sparked the lining of the duct. Loss is estimated at $5,000.

Manhattan Fire was assisted at the scene by Pottawatomie County Fire and EMS.


About Author

KMAN News Director and host of In Focus. Contact Brandon at

Comments are closed.