AP: Kansas girl dies after being trapped in fire in Wichita

0

WICHITA, Kan. — A 17-year-old girl died from smoke inhalation after she was unable to escape a fire in west Wichita.

Wichita fire investigator Donny Eckerman told The Wichita Eagle that the girl was trapped inside the duplex Friday afternoon by a deadbolt that required a key to open. The fire started in the kitchen after a burner was left on and a pan with grease caught fire. Firefighters found the girl unresponsive in her grandmother’s room, which is where the deadbolt key was kept. She died later at a hospital.

Officials estimate the fire caused $40,000 damage to the building and $20,000 damage to the contents.

Share.

About Author

AP Wire

Comments are closed.