Tuttle Cove accident victim identified


Updated at 10 a.m. Monday:

The victim of Sunday’s fatal boating accident at Tuttle Cove has been identified. Riley County Police announced shortly after 10a.m. Monday that shortly after 10:00 PM Sunday emergency crews recovered the body of Matthew Mann, 25, of Junction City. He was pronounced dead at the scene as a victim of drowning
The other two passengers who were rescued by a bystander have been identified as Jessica Regodos, 22, and Joshua Jacobs, 28, of Manhattan.  Regodos was transported to Mercy Regional Health center with a non-life threatening serious injury. Jacobs was able to drive his personal vehicle to Mercy Regional. A Mercy Regional spokeswoman indicates Regodos was treated and released and there’s no record of Jacobs being treated.
As previouisly reported, the emergency call came to RCPD at about 3:12 Sunday afternoon. The 14 foot fishing boat was carrying three passsengers, who were not wearing personal flotation vests, at the time of its sinking. Water temperature was 59 degrees at the time, with a depth of 26 feet.
A search for Mann was started immediately. Members of Riley County Emergency Management, Riley County Fire, Riley County EMS, Manhattan Fire Department, US Army Corps of Engineers, Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism, the Mission Township Water Rescue Team from Shawnee County as well as the Riley County Police Department participated in a coordinated search of the cove s entrance into the lake for approximately seven and a half hours.During the course of the search and rescue effort, the decision was made to begin a search and recovery operation due to the length of time Mann was thought to have been underwater.Again, Mann’s body was found shortly after 10 p.m. Sunday.

Updated at 12:06 a.m.  RCPD PIO Mat Droge announced that the victim in the boating accident at Tuttle Cove has been recovered.   The body of the 25 year old man was found using sonar at around 10:30 p.m. Sunday night, in the same area where authorities had been searching.

Droge said that, as far as the Department could tell, none of the three individuals were wearing life jackets.


Updated at 8:45 p.m. RCPD Public Information Officer Mat Droge announced via Twitter that the rescue operation is now a recovery operation as the missing boater still had not been found. Below is the full story from earlier Sunday.


According to the commander on the scene Riley County Police Captain Tim Hegarty at approximately 3:12 pm emergency personnel were called for a capsized 10′ fishing boat near the mouth of Tuttle Cove.  A nearby boat recovered two of the three occupants but the third remains missing.

One of the passengers  recovered was a female who was transported  to Mercy Regional Health Center with severe injuries.  The other person rescued at the scene was a male who was subsequently transported by private vehicle to a nearby health care facility for non life threatening injuries.

A dive team from Mission Township arrived  on scene at approximately 5:30 pm to begin search and rescue operations.

In addition Riley county PIO Mat Droge says another sailboat capsized near the Wildcat Marina, and two passengers were ejected into the water.  However, rescue operators were able to confirm those passengers were recovered without incident.




About Author

KMAN Staff

Leave A Reply