Riley County says some fees associated with environmental health permits, land use permits and licensing processes will increase this month to help offset county costs, though the county maintains it will continue to cover the bulk of costs for all Planning & Development and Environmental Health Services.
Fees for services such as wastewater system repair permits, mobile home park licensing, and publishing of public notices will increase, but the county will continue to absorb the remainder of the costs as part of the annual Planning & Development Budget.
Mobile home park (MHP) licensing fees have increased based on the intensive amount of staff time needed for the process. Previously, applicants were charged $5 per unit, for either a new license or a renewal license, with a maximum fee of $300. Applicants will be charged a flat fee of $150 for initial licenses and $75 for renewal licenses plus $5 per unit over 50 units, both with a maximum of $500.
“A lot of work goes into licensing or renewing a license for mobile home parks, including site inspections of each unit, each space, and the entire facility,” said Webb.
Summary of Fee Changes
- Added flat $50 for applications that require a public hearing and public notice publishing.
- Added flat $50 for applications that require resolution publishing.
- Added fees for two new land use processes added with the January 1, 2022 Land Development Regulations – Administrative Adjustment and Exception – both $100.
- Increased major wastewater repair permit fee to $100 (increase of $25).
- Added minor wastewater repair permit fee to $50 (increase of $50).
- Increased fees for Alternative System Installer initial license ($150) and renewal license ($50). Both are considered increases because the department was previously only charging a base fee for standard installers and the alternative installer came along with it, whether someone did it or not.
- Increased fee for Excavation initial license to $200 (increase of $50). The renewal license decreased to $100 (decrease of $50).
- Increased fees for Mobile Home Park licenses – increased initial license fee to $150 + $5 per unit over 50 units ($500 max). Increased renewal license fee to $75 + $5 per unit over 50 units ($500 max).