The Manhattan Fire Department had a busy day Wednesday, responding to three structure fires within a span of 12 hours.
Firefighters were dispatched shortly before 9 a.m. to 2905 Hickory Court, in southwest Manhattan, after the report of smoke coming from inside a single-story home. Fire was located beneath a fireplace in the ceiling cavity between the main floor and basement and contained within 15 minutes. Loss is estimated at $15,000 to the building and $2,500 to contents.
The cause was ruled to be accidental due to a fireplace issue.
Crews were called out to 1200 Ratone Street at 5 p.m. for the report of smoke in a building.
The fire was put out within 10 minutes and crews removed two dogs and a cat from two apartments. Each escaped unharmed.
Two of the building’s occupants were displaced and are being assisted by the American Red Cross. Loss is estimated at around $30,000 to the building and $10,000 to contents.
At around 9 p.m. crews were dispatched to the Gramercy apartments at College and Kimball Ave. to respond to a dryer fire on the first floor.
After evacuating the building, crews made quick work to extinguish the fire, but not before it caused about $10,000 in damage to the structure and another $5,000 to the building’s contents. At least one unit’s residents were displaced for the night.
No injuries were reported with any of the three fires.