Fire broke out at a Manhattan apartment complex Sunday evening at 711 Allison Ave.
The Manhattan Fire Department says heavy fire was noticeable on the balconies of the second and third floors. Riley County Police Department officers notified all occupants in the building, who were out by the time firefighters arrived, just after 5 p.m. Crews searched the building and the fire was put out within less than a half hour. Two dogs and four cats were removed from the building unharmed. A total of 17 firefighters responded to the call.
The 3-story structure sustained significant fire damage in at least two of the five occupied units. All occupants were displaced for the night. Seven of the other units were vacant. Loss is estimated at $100,000 to the structure and $35,000 to the contents.
A preliminary report has determined the fire to be accidental, though an official cause hasn’t been determined. It remains under further investigation.
The same building was damaged by fire in late July 2019 after an improper disposal of smoking materials. That fire caused an estimated $32,000 in damage.
The owner of the building is listed as St. Francis Properties, LLC, with the resident agent listed as Patrick Lee of St. George.